Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten Years Ago

I know there's probably about 5,000 blogposts out there about this day but I wanted to say something about it

Ten years ago I was 9 years old and on September 11, 2001 I was getting ready for school when I went into my mom's room and saw an image similar like this on her screen and my mom just staring in shock. I was sad but being only 9 I didnt really know why my mom was just staring and why it was so horrible. I dont remember much the rest of that day but I remember there was news about it for weeks and weeks.
Years past and every September 11 in school we would have a moment of silence for those who were involved in the attacks.
This event didnt even really impact me for another 6 years. April 2007 my children's choir went on a tour to New York City to sing in a festival. While we were there sightseeing we stopped at Ground Zero. Back then there were no memorials or waterfalls, there was construction and pictures of that day. We went to this underground space and there they had pictures drawn by children who had lost a parent on that day. I cried while reading those I've never felt so sad but some of these drawings were say things like " I know you are in a better place' " You're safe now Daddy" A lot of them had children saying things they missed doing with their parents.
I unfortunately dont have the pictures of Ground Zero and those drawyings on my computer anymore but I've never been to a more somber, depressing place in my life.
From the footage I've seen today the place now looks like it has a peaceful feeling and it looks beautiful. I hope to go back again one day and read the names.
Lastly I would like to thank all those fireman, police, and regular people who were heroes that day. People that sacrificed their own life to save others. That day changed the life of every single american. I believe we are now MORE american than we've ever been especially me.
 I hope everyone took a minute to remember those people today...... I know I did.
till next time, jodi

No comments:

Post a Comment